Over the next eighteen months ITIL Version 2 (ITIL V2) will transition into retirement, making room for ITIL Version 3 (ITIL V3) to take centre stage. Following an international survey last year the owners of ITIL, the Office of Government Commerce (OGC) in the UK, agreed that:
- Withdrawal will be product based, with all language variants for individual qualifications and publications being removed at the same time
- The withdrawal of ITIL Version 2 will be completed on the 30 June 2011
ITIL V2 Products (Examination) withdrawal
The timetable for the product (examination) withdrawal will be as follows:
- ITIL V2 Foundation to cease 30 June 2010
- ITIL V2 Manager to cease 31 August 2010
- ITIL V2 Practitioner to cease31 Dec 2010
- ITIL V3 Foundation Bridge to cease31 Dec 2010
Re-sits for all of the above examinations will be available until 30 June 2011.
The timetable for 2011 will see the following product (examinations) withdrawn:
- ITIL V3 Manager Bridge to cease 30 June 2011
ITIL V2 Publications withdrawal
The infamous ITIL V2 Service Support and Service Delivery publications will be officially removed on 30June 2011. It is envisaged as we get closer to the official date the publications may only be available as 'print on demand' or in electronic formats.
Continued availability of all the other ITIL Version 2 publications will be considered on a case by case basis as they come up for reprinting. All publications will be removed no later than 30 June 2011.
Comments on the announcement made by the OGC, can be provided by emailing the OGC Service Desk at ServiceDesk@ogc.gsi.gov.uk.
ITILnews would welcome any comments you may have regarding the withdrawal of ITIL Version 2 and centre stage passed to ITIL Version 3.