Numara Software, Inc independent two year research states:
- Although 50,000 copies of ITIL Version 3 were sold within the first few weeks of its release in June 2007 less than 10 percent of companies are actually aware of ITIL as a best practice framework and are adopting it in some form
- Many organisations for whom ITIL and its benefits remain a mystery, especially in the SME market.
- Many companies feel they have insufficient resources to implement such rigorous IT support standards as ITIL, and they view standards as either too costly or not important enough to spend time on.
- Typical challenges to adoption of ITIL are:
- Time and resources
- Justification to implement the framework
- Tailoring best practice to fit real world reality within the business
- Obtaining executive support for process change that may affect support levels