In April 2010 the Loyalist Certification Services (LCS) based in Ontario in Canada launched a new qualification, the Certified Process Design Engineer (CPDE), which has been endorsed as complementary to the ITIL v3 Qualification Scheme.
The course is designed to compliment various process frameworks, standards and maturity models, including ITIL, whom describe various integrated processes and controls, but fail to provide step-by-step methods and techniques for actually designing, re-engineering and/or improving those processes.
The course includes:
- Learning about process elements, models, usage and deliverables
- Gathering and analyzing process requirements
- Understanding the difference between developing, re-engineering and improving processes
- Studying the importance of roles, responsibilities and functions in process design
- Developing a process definition document
- Learning flowcharting techniques
- Using automation within processes
- Troubleshooting and improving processes
- Developing meaningful metrics and converting data into usable information
- Understanding the concepts of organizational change management
To qualify as an ITIL Complementary Qualification the supplementary certification must meet the following criteria:
- Address areas within the ITIL v3 Core or Complementary publications or other publicly available ITSM related or relevant publications (books, standards, papers etc)
- Are not covered by other ITIL v3 Core qualifications or
- Cover existing areas of ITIL v3 Core qualifications with a new focus
Certified Process Design Engineer (CPDE) qualification has been awarded a credit value of 1.5 and can be used by candidates who successfully achieve the certification towards the ITIL v3 Expert Level certification.